Is citizenship “place based”? Or conferred by membership in nation, tribe, or community? I feel it is internalized: a place of dynamic peace within each person.
In Amsterdam InClaritas 2014, i saw the entrepreneurial zeal of individual Amsterdam citizens expressed in countless group portraits at both the Hermitage and the Rijksmuseum.
In Amsterdam 2015 I saw similar characteristics expressed in place relationships with nature; in planetary exploration & trade, at the Amsterdam museum; and in exploring the nature and meaning of life, in the Ritman Museum of Hermetic Philosophy.
Here’s what i’m noticing re citizenship:
1. Individual human initiative & innovation was key to citizenship: expressed in publishing, free speech & discourse, and freedom of movement.
2. Working in groups is essential for the material accomplishment of individual enterprise for the benefit of the whole AND the individual.
3. Balance is fundamental: between human & nature; between human and human; between finite world and infinite (“As above, so below”)
4. Knowledge emerges from the infinite field via contemplation & introspection, and enters the finite via dialogue, exploration, and experience. It is emergent & provisional.
5. Humility, compassion, and “Yes…and?” are active ingredients of citizenship as is humor!